Grilled Salmon, Salsa Verde Potatoes, Asparagus
Crispy-skinned grilled salmon fillet, herby salsa verde covered new potatoes and fresh, crunchy asparagus; this dish is healthy, simple but full of delicious flavour.
For the salmon:
- 2 salmon fillets
- Tin of anchovies
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the potatoes:
- Around 10 new potatoes (or as many as you want)
- 1 pack of mint
- 1 pack of parsley
- 1 pack of basil
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 3 anchovies from a tin of anchovies (the same one as for the salmon)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Tablespoon capers
- Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 mini gherkins
- A grinding of salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 pack of asparagus
- Make the salsa verde. Place all of the ingredients (apart from the olive oil) in a food processor/mini chopper. Blitz until chopped very finely and almost paste like. Add a glug of olive oil and blitz again- you’re looking for the same consistency as a pesto. Add a couple tablespoons of water if you want it thinner.
2. Place the new potatoes in a large pan filled with cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and allow to cook for around 8-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Season the salmon fillets with a little salt and pepper. Place the salmon fillets, skin side up in a dish. Pour over the oil from the anchovy tin and place over the remaining anchovies. Grill for around 5 minutes until the skin is crisp, turn over and grill for another 4 minutes. These timings depend a lot on the size of your salmon fillets- mine were fairly large. You are aiming to still have a slightly opaque pink centre- this makes the salmon juicy and never dry.
4. Cook the asparagus for around 5 minutes in boiling salted water. I do this in a frying pan so that they fit.
5. Drain the potatoes and toss with a couple tablespoons of the salsa verde.
6. Place the salmon on a plate and drizzle over some of the oil leftover (the anchovies will have broken down into the oil; don’t be scared about it being too ‘fishy’ as they just give an amazing savoury flavour) place the potatoes and asparagus alongside.