Chipotle Haddock Goujons with Jalapeño Slaw and Sweet Potato Fries
Recipe from Kerry at Documenting My Dinner
Chipotle Haddock Goujons with Jalapeño Slaw and Sweet Potato Fries. Crunchy haddock goujons with a kick from the chipotle, coleslaw made exciting with jalapeños and sweet potato fries! This is a perfect summer dinner and a great way of reinventing your usual fish and chips. It is also the perfect dish to encourage you to use local suppliers.
For the fish
- 2 very large haddock fillets (around 600g)
- Chipotle paste (I use Cool Chile co)
- 1 can of beer
- 150g plain flour (and a little extra for dusting the fish)
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Sunflower, vegetable or rapeseed oil
For the jalapeño slaw:
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 white cabbage, finelyshredded
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 jar of jalapeños, finely diced (use the juice too!)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 heaped tablespoons plain yoghurt (I used Total 0%. Greek yoghurt or natural yoghurt would work too- full fat or fat free)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche (or use sour cream or mayonnaise)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- Salt and pepper
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into fries, skin left on if you like
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Place the sweet potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, add 100ml water and cover with cling film and pierce several times. Cook on high in the microwave for 3 minutes. Drain the water and allow to steam dry.
2. For the batter, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Slowly pour in the beer, whisking until combined and lump free.
3. pour a good glug of sunflower oil in a tray large enough to fit all the sweet potato fries. Heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Toss the sweet potato chips in the flour and Cajun seasoning. When the oil is hot, drop the sweet potatoes on to the tray and turn over each fry until they are all coated in oil. Cook for around 25 minutes until crisp.
4. To make the coleslaw, place all the veg in a large bowl. Add the yoghurt, creme fraiche and chipotle paste. Pour in a few tablespoons of the juice from the jalapeño jar. Season with a little salt and pepper and mix thoroughly to combine.
5. For the fish, heat a large pan or wok over a high heat. Fill the pan about two thirds with sunflower oil. Allow to heat to 180C. It is at heat when a piece of bread sizzles as it hits the oil and is brown and crisp within 10 seconds. Be careful not to overheat the oil and use a thermometer if you have.
6. Cut the fish into goujon sized pieces. Rub the fish pieces with the chipotle paste. Toss each piece in a little flour and then one by one, dip in the batter before lowering into the hot oil. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the temperature will cool too much and the batter will not crisp up. Cook for around 4-5
minutes, turning half way until golden brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
7. Serve the fish with the slaw and the sweet potato fries.